EDITING / COACHING SERVICES
“Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.”
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR
PERSONALIZED WRITING ASSISTANCE?
A combination of writing services tailored to your writing project needs:
- Writing Instruction
When writers work with me they can count on:
- Goals - I work with you on setting realistic writing goals and I act as your goal-tender to be sure you meet your plan. Students tell me they like the idea of weekly writing "assignments" as a discipline to help them stay on track.
- Editing and feedback on their writing - I offer line editing as well as broader instructional comments on your drafts at all stages. I offer a balance of supportive commentary on what's right with the manuscript along with suggestions for polishing and refining the prose.
- Ongoing support - through optional weekly or bi-weekly 30 minute teleconferences (or as needed), we discuss what's working/what's not working and solutions to what's in the way of your writing success.
- Mentoring for publication - if publishing is your goal, I help research and find suitable outlets for your work. I encourage clients to publish small sections of their larger works-in-process as they go along. Many fine journals and anthologies are hungry for fine writing in short forms (up to 2000 words).
- (optional) Book Proposals - for those who have a collection of writings ready to offer to a publisher as a book, I assist in creating the best selling tool possible using a proven format that gains agent/publisher attention.
Just a quick note to thank you for all your help. Your eye for detail is very important to me, and I appreciate all your feedback and suggestions. It seems every time I'm on the verge of a meltdown, you come and rescue me. Your kind words and faith in my ability to get this done has always meant a great deal. Thanks!
-- author Sue Nickerson, Amazing Grace and other short stories
- Formative editing - when you need how-to instruction on how to write better or to a certain style...
- Substantive editing - when you need help forming a structure for your writing project...
- Project editing - when you need another set of eyes to final proof your manuscript(s)...
Thanks for the encouragement and assignments. You are super at getting me beyond "bumps" and oriented toward a goal.
- Judy Harwood, author, Swimming Upriver
Have questions? Want to know more? Email Debra.
Debra Marrs is an editor and coach for writers. She has been teaching life story writing and other creative nonfiction classes since 1992. Her articles have appeared in Entrepreneur, Bride’s, San Jose Business Journal, as well as numerous business and education newsletters. She is currently working on a series of personal essays for her book entitled, Those Who Shaped Me.
Debra's award-winning flash fiction Madness in the Gardenwill appear in the forthcoming anthology On A Whim, scheduled for release October, 2007.